Proficiency in English
The teaching language of the master’s program will be English. This is based on the participation of non-European lecturers, who work in an international context in the most diverse areas of flight and migration at both political and non-governmental levels, ensuring a high level of applied teaching.
Furthermore, the master’s program is also open for potential international students. Last but not least, due to gaining skills in English and foreign languages, the students are especially qualified for working with associations and organizations operating at an international level.
Thus, sufficient oral and written command of English is necessary and a proof of B2 English proficiency is required at the time of enrollment. The following test will be accepted:
- Valid TOEFL IBT® test result of at least 83 points (internet-based)
- Valid IELTS test with at least 6.0 points
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge C1 Advanced, minimum level B2
These requirements do not apply for native speakers or for applicants who have obtained an English language school-leaving or study qualification. In these cases, a document from the school or higher education institution certifying that the degree was obtained in English is sufficient.
For applicants with a German school leaving certificate the following applies: Level B2 is recognised,
- if the certificate of the general higher education entrance qualification shows at least the grade "sufficient" in the continued foreign language (i.e. in the first or second foreign language of the German Gymnasium or at the corresponding level of another typoe of school leading to the general higher education entrance qualification) or
- if the certificate of the higher education entrance qualification of a public or state-recognised German Fachoberschule or Berufsoberschule shows at least the grade "sufficient" in the relevant language. Alternatively, level B2 may also be proven by another official document.
Proficiency in German
Although the teaching language of the Master’s programme “International Social Work with Refugees and Migrants” is English a certain level of knowledge in German (A2) is required.
In order to be admitted for the master’s program, international students shall provide evidence of having a command of German equal to level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). These language skills can also be obtained at FHWS by the end of the 2nd semester